Astor Place Subway Newsstand
The Astor Place station opened in 1904 as one of the original 28 stations of the New York City Subway. During the ‘90s, the station’s restrooms started permanently closing. However, one of the preexisting women’s restrooms was converted into a newsstand where it sold newspapers and candy to the thousands of New Yorkers that passed by every day.
Albert found this newsstand to be both particularly amusing and ingenious use of space. Although the newsstand is no longer open, Albert remembers its innovative and comical stature through his piece Astor Place Subway Newsstand.